How do I apply?
Please read through this FAQ entirely, then click the button above to fill out the Team 30 new member application for 2018-2019.
When should I expect to hear back from the team?
Interviews are set to start in late September! We send ALL applicants a decision letter, be patient and we will get back to you as promptly as we can.
What should I say in my cover letter?
Your cover letter is a chance to differentiate yourself from the crowd, it’s not an extension of your resume. When writing your cover letter, consider the following:
- You must indicate which Technical and Administrative teams you're applying for
- Which Technical and Administrative team do you want to be on? Why would you be a good addition to those teams? (Please note that all members must be on both an Administrative and Technical team)
- What can I contribute to the team that others can’t?
- Who are you? What personal characteristics do you bring to the team?
- How will I make sure that UWashington remains a world competitor in the global Formula SAE competition?
I’m not an engineer but I want to get involved, should I apply?
Yes! UWashington prides itself on accepting all majors for qualified applicants. Last year’s team was comprised of mainly Mechanical Engineers, however, the remainder of our roster was filled by CSE, EE, MSE, AA, and Physics.
I’m a freshman at UW and I don’t have much experience, should I apply?
Yes! UWashington's mission is to produce world-class engineers through a commitment to learning and innovation. We don’t expect you to know everything, but want you to be eager to learn. Just be sure to outline why you think you would be an effective member of our team in your cover letter.
I wasn’t accepted to the team, should I apply next year?
Yes! While we’d love to have a 100% acceptance rate, we simply don’t have enough spots on our roster to do so. If you are not accepted, we encourage you to build on the feedback that you receive from our administrators and apply again in subsequent years.